Fun tidbits about Corpus Christi:
- It is just 25 minutes from the longest barrier island in the United States – Padre Island. Thank you Visit Corpus Christi.
- It was the first major city in the United States to offer city-wide free wi-fi. Thank you Movoto.
- It is the home of Whataburger, which opened their first restaurant there in 1950. Thank you Movoto.
The beaches are open! Keep your distance from others while soaking up some rays or taking a swim. You can also visit Padre Island which is operated by the National Park Service. It reopened on May 2. The area is known to be home to a LOT of sea turtles, so keep your eyes peeled for these awesome creatures. Keep up to date on conditions here.
Rent bikes and go for a ride on the area’s many bike trails. There are plenty of bike rental companies on Corpus Christi Bay as well as on both Padre and Mustang Islands. If you are anything like me, you have a few quarantine pounds to work off, so why not workout with a view!
Rent Kayaks and explore the area. Kayak rental shops are just as ubiquitous as bike rentals. You’ll find these on the bay and on the barrier islands.
Things to do for free:
- Watch the sailing regattas every Wednesday evening at 6 pm.
- Check out the street art in the Marina Arts District.
- Take a walking tour through Heritage Park, a collection of twelve historic homes. Learn more and download your park map here.
Join our Best Last Minute Travel Deals group on Facebook for exclusive deals and destination information.